Château de Caen

Château de Caen


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Le château de Caen est un château normand construit vers 1060 par Guillaume le Conquérant. Son fils Henri Ier fit alors construire l'église Saint-Georges, un donjon et une grande salle pour la cour ducale.

Le château de Caen, ainsi que toute la Normandie, a été repris par la couronne française en 1204. Philippe II a renforcé les fortifications. Le château connut plusieurs combats pendant la guerre de Cent Ans. Le donjon est démoli en 1793 lors de la Révolution française, sur ordre de la Convention nationale.

Le château, qui servait de caserne pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, a été bombardé en 1944 et gravement endommagé.

Aujourd'hui, le château sert de musée qui abrite le musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen, le musée de Normandie et l'Échiquier de Normandie.


Château de Caen - Histoire

Vers 1025, sous le règne du duc de Normandie Richard II, la ville de Caen s'étendait de part et d'autre de la rivière Oulne, avec ses églises, ses vignes, ses prés, ses moulins, avec la halle, les marchands d'impôts. , le port et toutes ses dépendances". Ce n'était alors qu'une ville secondaire à vocation commerciale où les affaires étaient animées par la présence du port. Cet atout, conjugué à l'existence d'un éperon rocheux propice à la construction d'un château, n'est pas passé inaperçu du duc Guillaume. Vers 1060, un peu plus d'une décennie après sa victoire décisive sur ses barons rebelles à la bataille de Val-es-Dunes, le prince s'installe en résidence dans cette ville d'avenir.

Construit sur l'éperon rocheux dominant le bourg ducal, le château de Guillaume était de taille impressionnante, sur cinq hectares barrés au nord par un profond fossé défensif. La résidence princière, que les textes et plans anciens décrivent aujourd'hui comme le Vieux-Palais, l'ancien palais, était abrité derrière de hauts murs avec la paroisse de St George et ses nombreuses maisons à proximité.

Parallèlement à la construction du château, Guillaume et son épouse Mathilde fondent deux abbayes à Caen, l'Abbaye aux Hommes et l'Abbaye aux Dames. A cette époque également, une enceinte fut construite autour du bourg ducal. Durant cette seconde moitié du XIe siècle, la ville devient un immense chantier, favorisant un afflux de nouvelles populations, qui vont contribuer à faire de Caen une grande ville, le duché de Normandie est le deuxième après Rouen.

Le palais des ducs normands

Lors de la construction du château vers 1060, Guillaume de Normandie installe son palais à l'intérieur de l'enceinte. L'essentiel de ce que nous savons de cet ensemble palatial nous vient des fouilles archéologiques menées dans les années d'après-guerre par l'archéologue Michel de Boumlard. Trois fonctions du palais ont été identifiées à partir des restes découverts. D'après l'archéologue, un bâtiment rectangulaire de 16 mètres sur 8 (aula) avec un sol en terre battue suggère un niveau cuisine et dépendances &ldquoas se trouve habituellement au rez-de-chaussée d'un prince&rsquos aula aux XIe et XIIe siècles.&rdquo Les appartements du duc (caméra ) aurait alors été à l'étage supérieur comme le suggèrent les vestiges d'un escalier de construction plus récente dans un coin du bâtiment. Les vestiges de la chapelle palatine (capella) ont également été exhumés à quelques mètres du premier bâtiment, bien que cette chapelle existait encore en partie dans les constructions modernes détruites lors des bombardements de 1944. On ne peut dire avec certitude comment ni même si le palais de Guillaume a été isolé ou non du reste de l'enceinte, aucun élément d'enceinte n'ayant été découvert lors des fouilles. Sur cet ensemble palatial attribué à Guillaume de Normandie, une nouvelle salle construite par son fils, Henri Ier Beauclerc, a été ajoutée vers 1120, connue aujourd'hui sous le nom de Salle de l'Échiquier. Cette splendide salle est plus imposante (32 mètres sur 13), et est la seule architecture romane civile subsistant en Normandie.

Radicalement transformé au fil des siècles et des guerres, il est difficile d'affirmer que la salle de l'Échiquier n'a jamais eu plus d'un étage. Faute de preuves en dehors de l'indice singulier, pour justifier l'existence d'un étage intermédiaire au XIIe siècle, les importants travaux de restauration du

les années soixante ont choisi de restaurer la salle dans un état plus connu dans les écrits, celui du XIVe siècle.

La fouille actuelle de l'édifice du XIIe siècle à l'architecture comparable à celle de la salle de l'Échiquier apportera son lot d'informations qui viendront compléter et peut-être remettre quelque peu en cause le fonctionnement et l'interprétation de l'ensemble palatial.

La paroisse du château et la basse-cour

Si la fonction de tribunal de grande instance du château de Caen est assez clairement établie avec la détermination de l'unité palatiale du XIe et du XIIe siècle, il n'est pas si facile de définir la basse-cour à l'intérieur de l'enceinte du château. Bien qu'évidemment il y avait un certain nombre de services dont le fonctionnement du palais ne pouvait pas se passer, ceux-ci sont plus difficiles à placer dans le château. Là encore, l'archéologie vient à la rescousse alors que les écrits ont peu de choses à dire avant le XIVe siècle. Un ensemble de cuisines associé au donjon a été fouillé dans les années 60, sans toutefois aucune trace du moulin bien que mentionné dans les écrits comme étant dans la même zone. Un certain nombre de soubassements ayant appartenu à de petites maisons contemporaines du premier château du XIe siècle ont également été mis au jour sur le site, principalement à proximité de la tour-porte, principale entrée du site au temps des ducs.

Le témoignage le plus convaincant de l'existence de la basse-cour du château de Caen est l'église paroissiale Saint-Georges. S'il est difficile d'établir que la paroisse est antérieure au château, puisque les fouilles n'ont mis au jour aucun vestige antérieur à l'an 1100, l'édifice a accompagné le quasi-millénaire de l'existence du fort. Tous les styles architecturaux sont représentés dans l'église, de l'architecture romane normande aux vitraux historiés du XXe siècle. Par sa position centrale dans l'enceinte et l'attrait naturel d'un tel édifice, l'église Saint-Georges se voit confier une nouvelle mission. Il deviendra en 2013 le centre d'accueil et d'interprétation du château de Caen, point de départ de la visite et porte ouverte sur les autres sites partenaires français et anglais du projet européen "Norman Connections&rdquo, les travaux étant menés dans le cadre de ce projet.

Une forteresse dans la ville

On ne sait rien de la première fortification du château érigée vers 1060. Les plus anciens pans de remparts situés au nord du site datent du début du XIIe siècle. Fait de pierre, dont le site était abondant, ce rempart est bâti sur un talus de moellons prélevés lors du creusement des fossés nord et est. Ce remblai a-t-il été utilisé pour mettre en place une palissade en bois ancienne ? Personne ne le sait, car l'archéologie n'a rien mis au jour pour aider à interpréter cette question.

Au 11ème siècle, il y avait deux portes dans le château. La première au nord était aussi l'entrée principale du site. Elle était défendue par une imposante tour-porte. Au sud, la seule communication avec la ville se faisait par une poterne.

Le rempart, certainement pourvu d'allures de bois lors de sa construction initiale, était parsemé de nombreuses tours au fur et à mesure que l'on s'efforçait de renforcer ses qualités défensives.

L'atout majeur du fort demeurait le donjon, construit vers 1120 par Henri Ier. On le connaît mal, mais il était certainement comparable à bien des égards à son contemporain, le château de Falaise. Là encore, l'archéologie a été d'un grand secours puisqu'elle a permis de redécouvrir le plan au sol du donjon (24 mx 27 m) et celui de la courtine avec ses quatre tours d'angle qui fut aménagé au XIIIe siècle pour isoler le garder du reste de l'enceinte. Pendant la Révolution française, la Convention nationale décrète la destruction du donjon (1793). Cet ouvrage n'a été achevé qu'au XIXe siècle par les militaires de la caserne Lefègravebvre, qui ont enterré les derniers vestiges afin d'aménager une place d'armes.

Au cours de sa longue histoire, et sans doute en raison de ses qualités défensives, le château de Caen n'a jamais été pris d'assaut.


Château de Caen - Histoire

Nos rédacteurs examineront ce que vous avez soumis et détermineront s'il faut réviser l'article.

Caen, ville, capitale du Calvados département, la Normandie Région, nord-ouest de la France, sur l'Orne, à 14 km de la Manche, au sud-ouest du Havre.

Elle devint importante sous les ducs normands aux Xe et XIe siècles et fut la capitale de la Basse-Normandie à l'époque de Guillaume le Conquérant. Capturée par les Anglais à deux reprises, en 1346 et en 1417, elle est détenue par eux jusqu'en 1450. La révocation de l'édit de Nantes (1685) brise la prospérité de la ville devenue protestante. Pendant la Révolution française, c'était un centre pour le mouvement girondin. Après l'invasion alliée de Normandie en 1944, les Allemands ont utilisé Caen comme charnière de leur résistance à l'avance anglo-canadienne, et la ville a été détruite aux deux tiers. Il a été reconstruit, avec des zones industrielles planifiées entre l'Orne et le canal portuaire. Une plaine verdoyante, la Prairie Saint-Gilles, fait face au sud-ouest de la ville, et des jardins publics ont été plantés dans le centre-ville. L'université, fondée en 1432 par Henri VI d'Angleterre, a été réinstallée et rouverte en 1957. Le Mémorial de Caen (ouvert en 1988) est un musée dédié à la fois à la guerre et à la paix.

Les églises Saint-Étienne (l'Abbaye-aux-Hommes) La Trinité (l'Abbaye-aux-Dames) échappées aux dommages de guerre datent toutes deux des années 1060 et sont de beaux spécimens du roman normand. Le tombeau de Guillaume le Conquérant se trouve devant le maître-autel de Saint-Étienne, et le tombeau de sa femme Mathilde se trouve dans le chœur de La Trinité. Les restes de Guillaume ont été jetés pendant la Révolution. Saint-Étienne a une façade austère dénuée d'ornements. Ses deux tours, s'élevant à 295 pieds (90 m), sont surmontées de flèches du XIIIe siècle. Les bâtiments abbatiales, refaits au XVIIe siècle, abritent aujourd'hui les offices municipaux. La solidité normande de La Trinité est alourdie par des travaux de restauration ultérieurs (notamment au XIXe siècle). La nef sert d'église paroissiale, le transept et le chœur font partie de l'hôpital de la ville (hôtel-dieu). A mi-chemin entre ces deux églises se trouve l'église Saint-Pierre très décorée, ses beautés gothiques et Renaissance française restaurées après les dommages causés par la guerre. Sur la place Saint-Pierre se dresse l'hôtel Le Valois d'Escoville, un hôtel particulier Renaissance restauré (1538). La maison natale du poète François de Malherbe (1555) se trouve rue Saint-Pierre.

L'importance de Caen en tant que port date de la construction au XIXe siècle du canal maritime (environ 9 miles [14 km] de long), qui longe le fleuve et s'ouvre sur la Manche à Ouistreham. Elle sert principalement à importer du coke et à exporter de l'acier. La sidérurgie de la ville est alimentée par les mines de fer de la vallée de l'Orne. Les hauts fourneaux de Mondeville ont été reconstruits, et la population active est logée dans la nouvelle ville d'Hérouville. L'aspect industriel de la ville s'est considérablement développé avec l'emplacement d'usines d'automobiles, d'appareils électriques et électroniques. Située au centre d'une région céréalière fertile, à portée de vue du bocage verdoyant normand, Caen est un pôle de services majeur pour tout l'ouest normand. Pop. (1999) 113 987 (estimation 2014) 106 538.


WROXHAM’S AUTRE CHÂTEAU?

Cette HISTOIRE DE LA PRAIRIE DE CAEN a été écrite en 1997 par PETER REEVE, proviseur de l'ancienne école Montessori, qui jouxtait la prairie. M. Reeve soutient qu'il faudrait une fouille archéologique pour découvrir tous les détails du passé de Wroxham. Encore une fois, je dois remercier Barry Gorbould, un collectionneur de tout ce qui concerne le village, pour cette contribution intrigante.

Il existe plus d'un récit sur l'origine du nom Caen Meadow mais tous indiquent un lien avec Caen en Normandie suite à la conquête normande. On sait certainement que le porche de l'église St Mary date de cette époque et que le grès utilisé est similaire à celui de la cathédrale de Norwich, importé de Caen.. [Voir la note avec quatre astérisques sous My Wroxham Boyhood.] Il est également cité dans une histoire locale de Horstead et Stanninghall que tout le district, qui comprenait Wroxham, relevait du domaine de l'abbesse de Caen jusqu'à la dissolution des monastères.

Le récit le plus convaincant vient peut-être d'une famille résidant encore dans le village qui soutient qu'au sommet de la colline se dressait autrefois le monastère de Caen et que pendant les étés secs, les contours des murs du bâtiment pouvaient être discernés dans l'herbe*. Plus tard, une grange aux dîmes a été construite sur le site où se trouve aujourd'hui la maison Caenyard. En effet, lorsque cette propriété a été construite en 1972, beaucoup de matériaux de fondation ont été déblayés tandis qu'en direction de Holly Cottage, un puits profond a été découvert, maintenant recouvert. Avant l'arrivée des bulldozers, on pouvait également voir que le terrain à droite de la colline était en terrasses, avec un fossé descendant vers la rivière.

Au bas de la colline, à droite, il reste encore un bassin censé être pour le déchargement des wherries de mémoire d'homme il y avait des pilotis le long de ce tronçon de la rivière. La rive opposée, où ont grandi les aulnes, était autrefois aussi la prairie de Caen et il y avait un chemin public jusqu'à Coltishall. La disposition des chênes sur la prairie de Caen suggère que cette noble vue vers le fleuve avait été conservée dès l'époque du monastère. C'est évidemment un site de choix et cela soulève la question : qu'y avait-il avant ? Il est possible de hasarder une supposition.

Nous nous tournons maintenant vers les récits selon lesquels il y avait autrefois un point de passage romain à ce qui est maintenant la staithe publique. Cela aurait été le premier gué à travers la rivière à partir de sa source. Le sol était plus ferme ici et la rivière était si resserrée qu'un vieux wherryman a soutenu qu'il était autrefois possible de poser un quant de 18 pieds d'une rive à l'autre.

Nous savons que les Romains étaient à Wroxham. Une pièce de monnaie romaine a été trouvée sur la piste menant à la staithe et une autre en 1977 dans le jardin de Holly Cottage.

Il y avait un deuxième point de passage romain sur la Bure à Horstead, où il y avait un camp romain, et un fort gardant ce passage. Cependant, le point de passage à Wroxham, on peut supposer, était plus important, étant le premier gué, et était éminemment défendable depuis le terrain plus élevé qui le surplombe. S'il y avait un fort à Horstead, cela plaide pour qu'il s'agisse d'une fortification à Wroxham. En effet, une fois que les chaloupes danoises ont commencé à remonter les rivières Norfolk, la défense des points stratégiques était une nécessité. Ici, il peut être mentionné que le Bure est entré dans la mer au nord de l'endroit où se trouve aujourd'hui Great Yarmouth et n'a pas rejoint l'estuaire du Yare.

Ensuite, nous avons l'énigme de l'origine du nom de l'ancienne taverne du château. Castle Street a-t-il été nommé d'après la maison publique ou le pub a-t-il été nommé d'après ce qui se trouvait autrefois à l'autre bout de la route ? D'après les anciens documents, nous savons que Castle Street a continué jusqu'à l'endroit où l'école victorienne a été construite jusqu'à Holly Cottage, se rétrécissant à ce moment-là et s'appelant Church Land. L'affirmation est que le nom Castle Street dérive de la route menant à la fortification ou au château au sommet de Caen Meadow et où le monastère a ensuite été construit.

*Ceci ne doit pas être confondu avec un autre récit d'un prieuré près du vieux Wroxham Hall, plus en amont.


Le château qui a aidé à couler un cuirassé

Château Archdale, un petit donjon au bord d'un lac largement oublié en Irlande du Nord, a joué un rôle déterminant dans l'une des plus importantes victoires navales des Alliés pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale. Situé sur les rives du Lower Lough Erne près d'Enniskillen, Archdale a servi de base principale pour les hydravions alliés PBY Catalina et Short Sunderland pendant une grande partie du conflit. Situé à l'extrémité ouest de l'Irlande du Nord, l'avant-poste isolé offrait un abri idéal en eau calme pour les avions de patrouille à longue portée des Alliés qui s'aventuraient profondément dans l'Atlantique orageux à la recherche de sous-marins allemands.

Un accord secret entre Londres et Dublin a permis aux hydravions britanniques, puis américains, de passer directement au-dessus de l'espace aérien neutre de la République d'Irlande en direction de leurs territoires de chasse océaniques. Le 26 mai 1941, un PBY du 209e Escadron en provenance d'Archdale a repéré l'insaisissable cuirassé allemand Bismarck. Une fois localisés, les navires de surface de la Royal Navy et les avions lance-torpilles du porte-avions HMS Ark Royal a convergé sur le puissant navire de guerre et l'a achevée. La perte a porté un coup paralysant à la Kriegsmarine.


Bataille de Caen, 6 juin-6 août 1944

La bataille de Caen (6 juin-6 août 1944) a été l'une des batailles clés de l'opération Overlord, et bien que les Britanniques et les Canadiens aient atteint leurs objectifs principaux, l'échec de la capture de Caen a rapidement suscité de nombreuses controverses.

Le plan de Montgomery pour la bataille de Normandie avait toujours été de forcer les Allemands à engager leurs forces les plus fortes à l'est, à ce qui semble être le point logique de la percée des Alliés vers Paris et la frontière allemande, permettant aux Américains de percer davantage. à l'ouest et déferler sur la Bretagne et derrière les armées allemandes combattant en Normandie. Cependant, on s'attendait à ce que Caen tombe le jour J ou peu de temps après, donnant aux Alliés le contrôle des zones plates autour de la ville, propices à la construction d'aérodromes.

La géographie de Caen provoque une certaine confusion avec les directions. L'Orne coule généralement du sud au nord, traverse Caen et se jette dans la mer. Caen est divisé par le fleuve, avec la vieille ville sur la rive gauche du fleuve et une série de faubourgs et de zones industrielles sur la rive droite. Cependant, dans la ville elle-même, la rivière traverse un coude &lsquoS&rsquo, de sorte que la vieille ville est au nord de la rivière et certaines banlieues au sud de la rivière. La rive gauche est ainsi parfois appelée rive ouest ou arrière nord, tandis que la rive droite est la rive est ou sud. Une seconde rivière, l'Odon, coule généralement au nord-est et se jette dans l'Orne juste au sud de Caen.

Jour J et opération Perche

Le jour J lui-même, les Britanniques et les Canadiens débarquèrent avec succès sur leurs plages, mais la 21e Division Panzer monta une contre-attaque dans l'espace entre les plages Juno et Sword, et ceci combiné avec une progression plus lente que prévu juste à l'intérieur des terres signifiait que Caen restait aux mains des Allemands à la fin de la journée.

Le soir du jour J, une force de chars du Staffordshire Yeomanry, appuyée par le 2e King's Shropshire Light Infantry, atteignit Lebisey Wood, à seulement cinq kilomètres au nord de la ville. Cependant, les bois étaient tenus par un groupement tactique de la 21e Panzer Division, et les Britanniques ne pouvaient plus progresser.

Au cours des deux jours suivants, les Allemands ont eu une brève chance de repousser les Alliés, alors qu'ils déplaçaient trois divisions blindées à Caen. Cependant, les craintes de Rommel au sujet de la puissance aérienne alliée se sont avérées exactes. La Panzer Lehr a dû quitter Le Mans, et bien que la plupart de ses chars aient survécu, de nombreux véhicules de soutien essentiels ont été perdus et la division était apte à participer à une offensive lorsqu'elle a atteint Caen. La 12e SS Panzer Division souffre d'un manque de carburant, et est alors engagée par les Canadiens à l'aérodrome de Carpiquet. La 21e Panzer est coupée en deux par l'Orne et n'est donc pas en mesure de mener une contre-attaque coordonnée. Le 9 juin, Rommel avait décidé que la chance de repousser les Alliés dans la mer avait disparu et a ordonné à ses hommes de passer sur la défensive pendant qu'ils se préparaient à une contre-attaque à grande échelle.

Une fois qu'il fut clair que Caen tomberait le jour J, les plans alliés durent être modifiés. L'opération Perch, qui était à l'origine un plan d'avancée vers le sud-est de Caen pour convaincre les Allemands que la principale poussée alliée viendrait dans cette région, s'est transformée en un assaut sur deux fronts contre la ville. Cela a commencé le 10 juin, mais a peu avancé. De violents combats se développent autour de Tilly-sur-Seulles, qui change plusieurs fois de mains au cours des jours suivants. Les Britanniques sont alors informés qu'une brèche s'est creusée à l'ouest de Caen, où les Américains ont infligé de lourds dégâts à une division d'infanterie allemande. Pour tenter de profiter de cette brèche de Caumont, la 7e division blindée reçut l'ordre d'avancer autour de l'extrémité ouest du front de la Panzer Lehr à Tilly. Au matin du 13 juin, ils avaient atteint Villers-Bocage, mais ils ont ensuite été pris en embuscade par le célèbre as des chars Michael Wittmann, qui a détruit trois chars au centre du village et a aidé à tendre une embuscade à une force plus importante à l'est. Une bataille féroce s'est développée autour de la ville, mais à la fin de la journée, les Britanniques ont décidé de se retirer. La dernière chance de prendre Caen sans bataille majeure avait disparu, bien qu'à ce stade les Allemands soient encore capables de former de nouvelles lignes, de sorte que les avantages potentiels de s'accrocher à Villers-Bocage pourraient bien avoir été exagérés depuis.

Opération Epsom, 26-27 juin 1944

Montgomery a décidé de lancer sa prochaine attaque majeure sur Caen à l'ouest de la ville. L'objectif de l'opération Epsom était de percer les lignes allemandes à l'ouest de la ville, de traverser la rivière Odon, qui se jette au nord-est dans l'Orne à Caen, puis de traverser l'Orne et de sécuriser les hauteurs au sud-ouest de la ville. L'attaque devait être menée par le VIII corps de la deuxième armée britannique de Dempsey, tandis que le XXX corps effectuerait une attaque préliminaire pour capturer la crête de Rauray, qui surplombait le champ de bataille depuis l'ouest. Le plan initial prévoyait un soutien aérien du Royaume-Uni, mais cela a dû être réduit en raison du mauvais temps. Le mauvais temps, en particulier la Grande Tempête du 19-21 juin, a ralenti la montée en puissance des Alliés, si bien qu'Epsom a dû être reporté de la mi-juin à la fin du mois.

L'attaque préliminaire, l'opération Martlet, a commencé le 25 juin. L'objectif était de transporter des hauteurs autour de Rauray, d'où les observateurs de l'artillerie allemande pourraient appeler le feu sur le champ de bataille d'Epsom. L'attaque a été menée par la 49e division et n'a pas atteint son objectif principal. La division a bien progressé sur sa droite, mais a calé sur le flanc gauche plus important. En conséquence, les hauteurs autour de Rauray étaient toujours aux mains des Allemands lorsqu'Epsom a commencé le 26 juin. Martlet a continué au cours des jours suivants, et Raurey est finalement tombé le 27 juin et l'attaque s'est poursuivie le lendemain. Cependant, il est vite devenu clair que les Allemands préparaient une contre-attaque, alors les troupes ont commencé à se préparer à défendre ce qu'elles avaient capturé.

L'opération Epsom a commencé par un bombardement d'artillerie de trois heures, qui a fait beaucoup de dégâts à la ligne de front, mais a raté la deuxième ligne. Les 44th Highland et 46th Lowland Brigades ont alors commencé à avancer et ont rapidement dépassé la première ligne. La deuxième ligne allemande, juste au nord de l'Odon, a tenu plus longtemps, mais les Écossais ont pu s'emparer de Cheux, d'où deux routes descendaient vers l'Odon. Les Britanniques ont terminé la journée déçus, mais les Allemands l'ont terminée inquiets. Le général Dietrich, commandant du I SS Panzer Corps, a appelé à des renforts pour arrêter une percée. Rommel a finalement accepté d'envoyer quatre divisions blindées dans la région, y compris les 9e et 10e divisions blindées SS du II SS Panzer Corps nouvellement arrivé.

Le 27 juin, les Britanniques traversèrent enfin l'Odon et commencèrent à pousser vers le sud jusqu'à la cote 112, d'où ils auraient eu une vue sur Caen. Cette nuit-là, les renforts allemands commencèrent à arriver et le général Dollman insista pour qu'ils lancent une contre-attaque immédiate le 28 juin. Cela n'a rien réussi, et à la fin de la journée, Dollman est décédé, soit d'une crise cardiaque, soit en se suicidant. Du côté britannique, le pont sur l'Odon à Gavrus a été capturé intact et les chars de la 11e division blindée ont atteint la crête de la cote 112. Cependant, la reconnaissance aérienne et d'autres sources de renseignements ont clairement indiqué qu'une contre-attaque allemande majeure était probable. Le général Dempsey a décidé d'annuler toute tentative d'avancée vers l'Orne, car cela n'aurait fait que rendre l'étroite tête de pont britannique encore plus longue et encore plus vulnérable. Les troupes britanniques les plus avancées sont retirées et une solide position défensive s'installe autour de l'Odon.

Contre-attaque allemande d'Odon

Le 1er juillet, les Allemands lancent une contre-attaque majeure contre la tête de pont d'Epsom. La partie principale de cette attaque est venue à l'ouest, où le II SS Panzer Corps nouvellement arrivé a attaqué le flanc droit de la nouvelle tête de pont. Sur la gauche, ils ont attaqué avec le Kampfgruppe Weidinger de la 2e SS Panzer Division &lsquoDas Reich&rsquo. La 9e SS Panzer Division &lsquoHohenstaufen&rsquo était la suivante, avec la 10e SS Panzer Division &lsquoFrundsburg&rsquo à droite de cette attaque.

Du côté britannique, l'attaque a touché le 1st Tyneside Scottish à Rauray, venant de la force Martlet, et les forces d'Epsom plus au sud. Leur plus grand avantage était qu'Ultra avait averti de l'attaque à venir. Afin d'éviter d'avoir des troupes coupées, les forces les plus avancées ont été retirées.

Les Allemands avaient prévu d'attaquer à 3 heures du matin, mais les Britanniques ont lancé un bombardement d'artillerie préventif. Les Allemands ont commencé à bouger à 6 heures du matin, attaquant par l'ouest. Sur la gauche, ils se sont rapprochés de Rauray, mais les Britanniques ont pu mettre en action leurs forces de soutien et une série d'attaques au cours de la journée ont toutes été défaites. Au centre, la 9e SS Panzer Division tente de prendre La Valtru, mais sans succès. Sur la droite, la 10e SS Panzer Division prend brièvement Baron-sur-Odon, mais n'y parvient pas, tandis qu'une attaque depuis la cote 112 est interrompue par l'artillerie britannique. À la fin de la journée, les Britanniques étaient de retour dans leur position d'origine.

Bien qu'Epsom n'ait pas atteint tous ses objectifs, les Britanniques avaient capturé une tête de pont sur l'Odon et, plus important encore, avaient forcé les Allemands à engager la II SS Panzer Corp nouvellement arrivée dans les combats à Caen, au lieu de pouvoir l'utiliser pour un contre-attaque vers Bayeux. Cela a établi un modèle pour le reste de la bataille et chaque fois que les Allemands étaient en mesure de créer une réserve blindée, les Britanniques et les Canadiens attaquaient à Caen et ils seraient obligés d'engager les Panzers dans la bataille défensive.

Opération Charnwood, 8-9 juillet

Après une nouvelle pause, Montgomery décide de lancer une attaque majeure sur la partie nord de Caen. Quelques jours avant l'attaque principale, les Canadiens tentent de s'emparer de l'aérodrome de Carpiquet, à l'ouest de la ville (Opération Windsor, 4-5 juillet 1944). Ils ont pu prendre le village lui-même, juste au nord-est de l'aérodrome, et la partie nord de l'aérodrome, mais les Allemands ont tenu bon à l'extrémité sud.

L'opération Charnwood elle-même serait menée par trois divisions du général Crocker I Corps et la 3e division canadienne à droite, la 59e division (Staffordshire) au centre et la 3e division à gauche. Il serait précédé d'un raid de bombardement massif mené par 467 bombardiers lourds Lancaster et Halifax, qui devait accomplir de grandes choses (en particulier par Harris). Cependant, l'impact immédiat du raid a été décevant. Les aviateurs ont tenu à l'effectuer tard le 7 juillet au lieu du 8 juillet au matin comme prévu, car la météo leur convenait mieux le 7 juillet. En conséquence, les Allemands ont pu se remettre du choc avant que l'attaque ne frappe. Deuxièmement, Harris avait insisté sur une ligne de bombes à 6 000 mètres devant les positions britanniques et canadiennes, et s'était concentré sur Caen plutôt que sur les villages périphériques.

L'attaque a été lancée par les 3e et 59e divisions. La 3e division a fait les progrès les plus rapides et a rapidement commencé à submerger la 16e Luftwaffe Field Division, qui venait de prendre le relais dans la partie nord de Caen. Plus à l'ouest, la 12e SS Panzer Division tient toute la journée, mais la position allemande s'effondre sur sa droite. Pendant la nuit, les Allemands se sont retirés de tout Caen au nord de l'Orne et se sont échappés de l'autre côté du fleuve. À ce stade, les bombardements alliés ont retenu leurs troupes et les Allemands ont pu former une nouvelle ligne le long de la rivière.

Charnwood est suivi de l'opération Jupiter (10-11 juillet 1944), une tentative de reconquête de la colline 112 sur le front d'Odon. Les Britanniques ont réussi à prendre pied sur la colline, mais n'ont pas pu la dégager entièrement. L'attaque s'est terminée au bout d'une journée, avec la tête de pont britannique légèrement agrandie.

Opération Goodwood et Opération Atlantic, 18 juillet-

Bien que la partie nord de Caen soit tombée, les Allemands tenaient toujours le sud et l'est industriels, y compris les tours des usines de Colombelles, une excellente position d'observation. Ils semblaient également être sur le point de déplacer des troupes vers l'ouest en direction de St. Lo et du secteur américain clé. Montgomery a décidé de lancer une autre grande attaque à Caen, cette fois dans la zone à l'est de la ville.

La cible principale de l'opération Goodwood était une crête basse et plate juste au sud de Caen. C'était ce qu'on appelait la crête de Bourguebus pour les Britanniques et la crête de Verrières pour les Canadiens, d'après les villages situés sur les parties est et ouest des pentes nord de la crête. Cette crête est à peine perceptible sur les photographies de la région, mais elle était juste assez haute pour bloquer les vues, cacher les chars et l'artillerie ou pour donner à quiconque contrôlait les hauteurs une vue imprenable sur la zone par ailleurs généralement très plate. Pendant que les blindés effectuent l'attaque principale au sud, l'infanterie britannique nettoie les zones à l'est de Caen, tandis que les Canadiens chassent les Allemands des faubourgs sud de la ville, sur la rive droite de l'Orne (Opération Atlantique ). Goodwood allait devenir l'une des batailles les plus controversées de la campagne de Normandie, principalement en raison des attentes divergentes quant à ses objectifs. Pour Montgomery, l'objectif principal de la bataille était de cerner les blindés allemands autour de Caen et d'empêcher les Allemands de déplacer des renforts vers l'ouest pour s'opposer à la percée à venir (opération Cobra). Cependant, afin d'obtenir un soutien total pour ses plans, et en particulier pour convaincre la RAF d'effectuer le bombardement massif qu'il souhaitait, Montgomery semble avoir surestimé les changements d'une percée vers Falaise. Eisenhower semble certainement s'être attendu à quelque chose de similaire, tout comme le haut commandement de la RAF.

Pour tenter de distraire les Allemands, deux attaques sont lancées à l'ouest de Caen. L'opération Greenline a commencé le 15 juillet et a vu le XIIe corps attaquer Evrecy, qui a été capturé pendant la bataille, l'opération Pomegrante a commencé le 16 juillet et a été menée par le XXXe corps. Les deux attaques ont aidé à convaincre les Allemands de déplacer la 9e SS Panzer Division Hohenstaufen sur la rive ouest de l'Orne.

L'opération Goodwood était une attaque ambitieuse. Le plus gros problème était que les Britanniques ne détenaient qu'une petite tête de pont à l'est de l'Orne et au nord de Caen, en grande partie la zone capturée le jour J. Celui-ci était assez grand pour prendre les trois divisions blindées, de sorte que les troupes de tête devraient commencer l'attaque pendant que les deuxième et troisième divisions traversaient encore l'Orne. As a result only part of the massive armoured force would actually get into action. 11th Armoured Division, which led the attack, would be fully engaged. The Guards Armoured Division would also be able to commit significant forces to the fighting. The 7th Armoured Division would hardly be involved at all. On the eastern flank the 3rd Infantry Division and 152nd (Highland) Brigade were to protect the left flank of the armoured assault.

The attackers also faced very strong defences, with five interconnected defensive lines running back for ten miles from the front. However they lost Rommel, who was badly injured in an air attack on 17 July and never returned to the front. The German line east of Caen was held by the LXXXVI Corps, with the remains of the 16th Luftwaffe Division and the 356th Infantry Division in the front line and the 21st Panzer Division in reserve. The I SS Panzer Corps was further to the south, and both of its panzer divisions had been withdrawn from the front line &ndash the 12th SS Panzer Division to regroup and recover and the 1st SS Panzer Division as the local reserve. The Germans also had a fairly significant number of guns on the Bourgeubus ridge.

The battle began with another massive air attack, this time with 2,600 British and American bombers, dropping 7,500 tons of bombs onto carefully selected targets around the attack area. The artillery opened fire at 0640, and the advance began at 0745. At first the British tanks made very good progress, and they were soon approaching Bourguebus ridge. However they then ran into intact German defences, and had got too far ahead of their supporting infantry. The Guards Armoured Division joined the fighting, but instead of the much anticipated tank breakthrough, the battle turned into a series of small scale fights for individual villages. On the German side the ease with which the British had advanced as far as they did caused a great deal of concern. The 1st SS Panzer Division was ordered to launch a counterattack, but this wasn&rsquot actually noticed by the British at the time! On the left flank the British infantry also made decent progress, capturing a series of villages and pushing the Germans away from the eastern edge of Caen. 19 July saw a German counterattack that was repulsed along most of the line, while the British cleared up those villages that hadn&rsquot fallen on the previous day.

On the Allied right the Canadians carried out Operation Atlantic, with the aim of protecting the right flank of Goodwood and clearing the Germans out of the last bits of Caen. It was carried out by General Guy Simonds&rsquo newly activated Canadian 2nd Corps. The Canadian 3rd Division was to attack from the Orne bridgehead in the north and from the city centre, while the Canadian 2nd Division attacked from the west of Caen. Atlantic also began on 18 July. On their left the 3rd Division captured Colombelles village and steelworks, the chateau de Colombelles and Giberville, although in some cases only after day long battles. The 9th Brigade, coming from the north, advanced down the right bank of the river and attacked the suburb of Vaucelles, south of the city centre. The German defenders withdrew to avoid being cut off. In the west the 2nd Division attack began in the evening. On their right the division was held up at Louvigny, but in the centre and left they were able to bridge the Orne and cross into Vaucelles.

On 19 July the Canadians successfully cleared the remaining Germans out of southern Caen. However this ended the successful part of the operation. On 20 July they pushed south onto the Bourgeubus Ridge, and ran into intact German defences. Poor weather limited the amount of air support available, and the Germans were even able to launch successful counterattacks. The same was repeated on 21 July and 22 July, before the operation ended. Atlantic had achieved its main aim of clearing Caen, but the ridges south of the city remained in German hands. Once again this was only achieved by moving armour east of the Orne, making it unavailable to deal with Operation Cobra.

Although Goodwood is now mainly remembered as a failed breakthrough, it actually achieved Montgomery&rsquos main aim of pinning the German armour down around Caen. It also greatly worried the Germans &ndash General Eberbach considered it to have been a great defeat, and coming very close to achieving a breakthrough, while for von Kluge it indicated that the battle of Normandy was lost. On 21 July he reported to Hitler that the German line &lsquoalready so heavily strained, will break.

After Goodwood

Although Goodwood and Atlantic left Caen securely in Allied hands, the official dates for the battle of Caen take it up to 8 August, and the start of Operation Totalize, the first major Canadian attack towards Falaise. Fighting did continue around Caen, although it was soon overshadowed by Operation Cobra, the start of the American breakthrough, which began on 25 July. The general aim around Caen was to push the Germans further away from the city. On 22 July 1944 British troops attacked to the south of Caen (Operation Express), and captured the village of Maltot, just west of the Orne and less than five miles from the city centre.

The biggest of these attacks was Operation Spring (25-26 July 1944), a Canadian attack on the Verrieres ridge. The attack was to be carried out by the newly activated Canadian 2nd Corps, under General Simonds. The corps contained the 2nd and 3rd Canadian Infantry Divisions, of which the 3rd had suffered heavy casualties on D-Day and the 2nd was new to battle, the Canadian 2nd Armoured Brigade and 2nd Army Group Royal Artillery.

Planning for this attack began on 21 July, in response to a delay in the start of Operation Cobra from 20 July. The aim was to push the Germans off the slightly higher ground south of the city, and pin them down in the east. However this area was strongly defended, and the Germans had access to a series of mine tunnels that linked several of the villages. When the Canadians attacked, the Germans were thus able to pop up in areas that were meant to have been cleared, preventing the attack from gaining any momentum. The Canadian attacks on 25 July were defeated at heavy cost, making it the second most costly day for Canada during the entire war, second only to Dieppe. The attack only took one of its objectives, and had to be called off early on 26 July when the bad news reached General Simonds. However the attack did achieve its main aim, pinning the Germans down south of Caen. It also attracted the attention of Field Marshal Kluge, who spent 25 July on the Caen front, just as the western end of the German front was crumbling. Kluge didn&rsquot leave the Caen area until the afternoon of 27 July, by which time the breakthrough had begun.

The main focus on the British front then moved west, to Operation Bluecoat, which began on 28 July. This saw two British corps attack from the Caumont area, half way between Caen and Saint Lo, with the aim of supporting the American advance.

Over the next few days the Americans broke right through the German lines and began to fan out into Brittany to the west and towards Le Mans in the east. It soon became clear that there was now a chance to trap a large part of the German army in Normandy, if the Canadians could push south from Caen and the Americans push north from around Le Mans and Alencon. The new target would be Falaise. The official end date of the battle of Caen is thus the same day as the start of the first Canadian attempt to break through to Falaise, Operation Totalize (8-11 August 1944).

The battle of Caen was key to the overall Allied victory in Normandy, but it wasn&rsquot as glamorous and its successes less obvious than Operation Cobra. Repeated British and Canadian attacks made slow but steady progress, rarely reaching their more optimistic targets. Montgomery often failed to fully explain his overall plan, and on occasion even Eisenhower began to worry. However on the German side each of the famous offensives caused a great deal of alarm. Every time they managed to release their panzer divisions from the front, there would be another attack, and they would have to be committed to desperate defensive battles. The same happened to fresh divisions as they reached Normandy. Perhaps the most important example of this was the decision to commit the two freshly committed Panzer divisions of the II SS Panzer Corps to the fight against Operation Epsom, a move that forced Rommel to abandon his own plans for an attack towards Bayeux. Goodwood was seen as a disaster on the German side, and a sign that the front was about to crack. Even Operation Spring, a costly failure for the Canadians, distracted Field Marshal Kluge at the moment when he was needed on the American front. The long bitter battle for Caen may have been controversial, but it drew in most of the German panzers, and helped pave the way for the spectacular American breakthrough then breakout at the other end of the line.

Stout Hearts: The British and Canadians in Normandy 1944, Ben Kite. Looks in detail at the role of each element in the British and Canadian military machine during the Normandy Campaign, including each aspect of the ground forces from the infantry to the armour, intelligence, reconnaissance and medical services, as well as the air support and the fire power provided by the massive Allied fleets off the Normandy coast. A very useful companion to narrative accounts of the campaign, helping to explain how the British and Canadians managed to overcome the determined German resistance on their front [read full review]

Mémorial de Caen: No trip to the D-Day Landing Beaches is complete without a visit to the Mémorial de Caen just be sure to designate a full afternoon to it. This vast museum focuses both on the history and repercussions of war in the 20th century, as well as post-war peace keeping. Inaugurated in 1988, the museum stands on the very soil where some of the fighting for Caen took place in 1944, and perhaps understandably its D-Day exhibit is particularly fascinating, using a large split screen to depict the D-Day Landings simultaneously from Allied and German viewpoints.

Vaugueux neighbourhood: With its Caen-stone houses dating back to the Middle Ages, this neighbourhood is probably one of the most popular, best-known parts of Caen. It is also a trendy nightspot whose many restaurants and bars come to life in the evenings along the main street (rue du Vaugueux) and old town square. Edith Piaf herself used to come here to see her grandparents, who ran a café in the neighbourhood!

Hôtel d’Escoville: One of Caen’s finest buildings, which now houses the local tourist office

The marina: Just around the corner from one of the liveliest, best-restored corners of the old city centre, this scenic marina full of yachts and surrounded by smart modern apartment blocks may come as a pleasant surprise to anyone unfamiliar with Caen, and is a great place for a stroll.

Jardin des Plantes: Caen prides itself on being a green city and this botanical garden is one of the many reasons why. Thanks to Gallard de la Ducquerie, a professor at Caen’s Faculty of Medicine, who acquired the land in 1689 and filled it with rare plants, the garden is now home to over 2,000 different species.

Women’s Abbey: This abbey was built for Queen Matilda on a similarly grand scale to the Men’s Abbey between 1060 and 1080. The 11th-century Church of the Holy Trinity is a fine example of Norman architecture and houses the tomb of Queen Matilda, wife of William the Conqueror. The superb crypt, with its barrel vaults supported by 16 close-ranked columns, is remarkable, as are the 18th-century convent and French-style garden.

Men’s Abbey: William the Conqueror, to regain the favour of the Pope, who disapproved of his marriage to his distant cousin, Matilda Princess of Flanders, ordered the construction of the Men’s Abbey in 1066. Construction began in the Norman style but the abbey was completed in gothic style in the 13th century, and houses William’s tomb. The abbey is an architectural masterpiece, its elegant lines mixing the simplicity of Norman architecture with gothic intricacy. The large monastic buildings later attached to the abbey now house Caen Town Hall.

Caen Castle: One of the largest walled fortifications in Europe, this castle was built for William the Conqueror, who made Caen into a great centre of power in Normandy. Damaged during the bombings of 1944, the castle has since been restored and its extensive walls and towers make for an impressive sight. Within the ramparts, explore the castle’s two museums, the Musée des Beaux-Arts (Fine Arts Museum) and the Musée de Normandie (which explores the region’s history and ethnography). Also worth a visit at Caen Castle are the Salle de l’Échiquier (Treasury Chamber) and Church of Saint-Georges.


How to get to Caen

Caen is conveniently situated two hours from Paris by train and a mere 15 minutes from the cross-Channel port of Ouistreham, which operates regular sailings to Portsmouth in the UK. The city also has its own airport in the neighbouring town of Carpiquet. Caen is within driving distance of popular Normandy attractions including Bayeux and its famous tapestry, the D-Day Landing Beaches, and the picturesque Pays d’Auge, home of cider and cheese. Beaches and towns where you can enjoy traditional seaside fun are also just on the doorstep. Caen even boasts its own yachting marina, the Bassin Saint-Pierre, right in the heart of town.


Wiltshire Community History


The town of Devizes developed around the Norman castle which was probably built c.1080 by Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury. There is little evidence of prehistoric settlement on the site, but some Roman remains have been found in the Southbroom area of the town.

The castle was built on a promontory on the western edge of the Marlborough Downs with the valley of the Avon to the west and the Pewsey Vale to the east, 9 miles from Calne, 14 miles from Marlborough and 12 miles from Trowbridge. Because Osmund built his castle on the boundaries of the King's manor of Rowde and his own manors of Cannings and Potterne it became known as ' castrum ad divisas', the castle at the boundaries.

The original castle was probably a motte, or tower, of wood with an outer bailey protected by a ditch, stockade and drawbridge. This structure burnt down in 1113 and was rebuilt in stone by Richard of Caen, Osmund's successor as Bishop of Salisbury. The castle was described by a contemporary, Henry of Huntingdon, as 'the finest and most splendid in Europe', but little now remains of it apart from fragments of the foundations.

On several occasions important prisoners were held in Devizes castle, an indication of how impregnable it was considered to be. In 1106 Robert of Normandy, the eldest son of William the Conqueror, was imprisoned here when his younger brother Henry seized the throne during Robert's absence at the First Crusade. He was to remain a prisoner at Devizes for the next twenty years before being moved to Cardiff where he died in 1134.

The years 1139 to 1141 were full of incident for the inhabitants of the castle and the town that was developing outside its walls. The heir to the throne, following the death of the King Henry I's only son, was his daughter Matilda, who was also known as the Empress Maud as she was the widow of the Holy Roman Emperor. Henry I died in 1135 having extracted an oath from the barons and bishops, including Roger, that they would accept her as queen, but his nephew, Stephen of Blois, invaded England to claim the throne and was supported by many of the barons and bishops.

At this time Roger was one of the most powerful and influential men in England. During Henry's reign he had been appointed Justiciar of England, as well as being Bishop of Salisbury, and had deputised for the King when Henry was abroad. In addition Roger had appointed his natural son, also called Roger, to the post of Chancellor and two of his nephews to bishoprics.

Roger declared his support for Stephen but he must have been considered a dangerous ally as, in 1139, during an assembly at Oxford, Stephen used a disagreement between his French followers and Roger's retainers as an excuse to arrest Roger, his son and nephews. Matilda (also called Maud) of Ramsbury, who was Roger's mistress and the mother of his son, was at this time holding Devizes castle but when Stephen arrived and threatened to hang her son she surrendered the castle to him. Bishop Roger was freed but forced to surrender all his possessions to Stephen and he died later in the year, a broken man.

Meanwhile Matilda and her followers were advancing through the West Country and so Stephen now moved on to try to stop her, besieging the castle at Trowbridge on the way, and leaving a party of soldiers to hold the castle at Devizes.

Robert Fitzhugh, a Flemish adventurer stated that if he held Devizes Castle he could control all the lands between London and the west, and in Stephen's absence he captured the castle, using leather ladders to avoid waking the garrison. He proceeded to lay waste the surrounding country and when Matilda's brother Robert, Earl of Gloucester, sent a force to take over the castle for Matilda he refused to hand it over. Eventually he was captured and when his men refused to surrender the castle in return for their leader's life Fitzhugh and two of his nephews were hanged in front of them. Stephen subsequently regained control by paying the remaining mercenaries to leave. Count Hervey of Brittany, Stephen's son-in-law, took over the castle, but the local townspeople had become so disenchanted by the activities of Fitzhugh that in 1141 they besieged the castle and eventually forced Hervey to surrender to Matilda's forces. By this stage Stephen had been captured at Lincoln and Matilda had been proclaimed Queen although she was never crowned. In gratitude to the people of Devizes she granted them freedom from certain tolls, which in effect gave them the right to hold a regular market.

For the remaining seven years of the civil war Devizes stayed in Matilda's hands, although Stephen's troops sometimes ravaged the surrounding areas, and she was often in the town.

Matilda retired to Normandy in 1148 and died in 1167. Her son Henry took up the cause and used Devizes as a base for campaigns in the West Country. He successfully repelled an attack on the castle by Stephen's son Eustace. Eventually he forced Stephen to recognise him as his heir.

The Crown retained possession of the castle until the seventeenth century, and together with the land around Devizes and Rowde, the Old and New Parks and the right of appointment to the forests of Chippenham and Melksham it made a very important royal gift.

The castle was again used as a prison when King John's second wife, Isabella, was sent there in 1206. She gave birth to a son there in 1209, and in 1216 John sent the Royal regalia and crown jewels to the castle for safe keeping. John died later that year and was succeeded by his nine-year-old son, Henry III, who was living in the castle at the time in the care of the governor.

During the 12th and 13th centuries the town of Devizes developed outside the castle with craftsmen and traders setting up businesses to provide the residents of the castle with goods and services. Following the granting by Matilda of the charter allowing a market, the town grew rapidly. The layout of the streets followed the line of the castle's defence ditches, of which there were four, and the regularity of the burgage plots in New Park Street and the Market Place suggests that it was deliberately planned, rather than developing piece meal. The medieval market place was in the large space outside St Mary's Church, rather than in the modern Market Place, which at that time would have been within the castle's outer bailey. A market cross stood near to the White Bear Inn in Monday Market Street.

The town had achieved such importance by 1295 that it was summoned to send two representatives to Edward I's Model Parliament, and continued to be represented in most other parliaments of the period, although there seems to have been an economic decline from 1332 to1336 when the town's importance was reduced and it was not represented.

The first mention of a market in Devizes is for 1228 although there were probably earlier ones established without royal permission. In 1567 a second market was granted, to be held in St. Mary's parish on Mondays, but it seems to have ceased by 1814. A Thursday market, which had been established by 1609, is still held weekly in the Market Place.

The chief products in the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries were corn, wool and yarn, with cheese, bacon and butter increasing in importance later. Fish was brought up from Poole, and John Aubrey considered Devizes to be the best fish market in the county. By the early nineteenth century there was a twice weekly market for butchers meat and in 1842 the market for corn and malt was described as one of the most important in England.

Over the centuries various commodity markets lapsed and were revived again. The cheese market had finally ceased by 1903 when the market was said to be for corn, poultry, butter and vegetable. In 1939 corn, cattle, pigs and poultry were sold, though by then cattle and corn were of minor importance.

The actual sites of the different markets have changed over the years. The first markets were held in front of St Mary's Church, but with the physical deterioration of the castle defences the townspeople gradually took over the open area of the castle bailey where the present Market Place is situated. Other areas which have been used include Short Street, Wine Street, St. John's Street and High Street.


A number of market halls were built at different periods to house the corn market, cheese market, wool market and butchers shambles. The Corn Exchange was built in 1857 and has a statue of Ceres, the Roman goddess of the harvest, surmounting it. The Shambles, in the corner of the Market Place, was built in 1838, and now houses market stalls on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

The present market cross was the gift of Lord Sidmouth and one side of it tells the story of Ruth Pierce, a market woman from Potterne, who dropped dead in the Market Place in 1753 after lying about payment for a purchase of wheat.

The earliest fair in Devizes was granted in 1208 for the benefit of the local lepers. It was to be held yearly on the eve and feast of St. Denis (8th and 9th October), but by 1223 the Bishop of Salisbury seems to have displaced the lepers and was disputing the rights of the fair with the constable of the castle. Other fairs are recorded between this time and the sixteenth century when, in 1567 the corporation was granted two fairs of its own. In 1685 the Crown granted another new fair, known locally as the 'wholesale fair', to be held in St. John's parish on 10th April.

By 1759 there were seven fairs, held on Candlemas (13th February), Maundy Thursday, Trinity Thursday, 15th July, 9th September, 2nd and 20th October. Some fairs specialised in particular merchandise: the Trinity fair, for example was predominantly for horses, while the one in July was for wool.

As with the markets the fairs prospered and declined over the years with the occasional revival but the remaining two, held in July and February, ceased in 1939 and 1942 respectively.

The direct involvement of Devizes in the war between King Charles I and Parliament was due partly to its position between the King's headquarters in Oxford and the south west of England where he had strong support. This made the town of strategic importance to both sides. At the outbreak of the war the town's two MPs, Edward Bayntun and Robert Nicholas, were supporters of Parliament but there was strong Royalist sympathy within the town led by the mayor, Richard Pierce.

When the war broke out in 1642 some of the castle's fortifications were repaired and locks, chains and barricades were set up across the road entering the town from London.

In 1643 the Royalist Sir Ralph Hopton and his army fought a series of engagements with the Parliamentary forces under Sir William Waller, culminating in an indecisive battle at Lansdowne near Bath. Hopton was injured in an explosion and the Royalists made for Devizes where they could hold off Waller's forces while Hopton recovered. Waller camped near the village of Roundway and besieged the town. Hopton's men were very short of ammunition and, following the failure of a relief party to reach Devizes, it was decided to send a small party of cavalry to Oxford to fetch guns, powder and bullets. In the meanwhile Hopton ordered his men to collect all the bed cords in the town and to boil them in resin to make match. Lead was stripped from the church roofs to melt down to make bullets.

Waller began to bombard the town with cannon balls and canister shot and at one stage his cavalry reached the outer streets of the town but failed to get through the heavy barricades. As he was expecting reinforcements to arrive Hopton refused to surrender and employed delaying tactics to play for time. Waller, confident that Royalist reinforcements would be intercepted before they reached him, agreed to a six hour parley. This turned out to be a fatal mistake as the Royalists were not stopped and Waller had to hastily redeploy his men to face the relief force.

At 4.00 p.m. the Royalists under Lord Wilmot reached Roundway Down. They had fired a gun at Roughridge Hill to alert Hopton to their arrival but his officers, fearing a trick, persuaded him not to leave the town. This left the relief force outnumbered three to one.

The battle was fought on the Downs between Roughridge Hill, King's Play Hill, Roundway Hill and Morgan's Hill. Initial attacks by the Parliamentarians were repulsed and the Royalist Cavalry, despite attacking uphill, put the opposing cavalry to flight and pursued them for three miles across the Downs to a steep hillside. Many of the Parliamentary men and their horses were killed in what became known as the 'Bloody Ditch'. Hopton, realising that a battle was taking place, emerged from the town and his infantry helped turn the Parliamentarian retreat into a rout. Waller escaped to Bristol but his army was almost totally destroyed.

For the next two years Devizes remained under Royalist control, during which time the King arranged for more work to be done on improving the castle's fortifications. The moat was cleared and the drawbridge repaired.

The castle was manned by four hundred Welshmen under Sir Charles Lloyd when Oliver Cromwell reached Devizes in September 1645 and demanded their surrender. Following their refusal Cromwell set up 10 guns in the Market Place and bombarded the castle. One shell landed in the roofless keep where the powder was stored and although it failed to explode Lloyd surrendered. He and his officers were allowed to join the king at Oxford. Parliament ordered that the castle should be destroyed and this was carried out in 1648.

There is little evidence of any established industry before the fourteenth century but from this period the leather, metal and textile trades seem to have predominated. In the sixteenth century Devizes became known for its white woollen broadcloth but in the following century the trade in white cloth apparently declined and was replaced by serge manufacture and later the production of drugget, which was being exported to Russia up to about 1753. Felt was also made.

In about 1785 John Anstie built a factory for the production of cassimere, a closely woven fancy fabric, and in 1788 he was said to have three hundred looms in use. Much of this cloth was sold abroad but the French wars severely limited trade, with the result that he went bankrupt in 1793.

From this period there was a decline in the textile trades in Devizes but other trades continued to establish themselves. These included clock making, a bell foundry, booksellers, milliners, grocers and silversmiths.

Two trades of particular importance came to prominence in the eighteenth century: these were brewing and tobacco. Brewing and malting had been carried out on a small scale for centuries, but in the mid eighteenth century the firm of Rose and Tylee was established and the site of their brewery, in Northgate Street, is now part of the brewers Wadworth and Co. who were founded in 1875.

From the early part of the eighteenth century tobacco was cured and snuff ground in Devizes. The earliest records are of Richard Anstie who had a shop on the corner of Snuff Street and the Market Place. For some years William Leach used two windmills, originally built to grind oilseed rape, which stood on the old castle motte, to grind snuff. The Anstie family continued its interest in tobacco with a factory in John Anstie's former cloth factory. In 1944 the Imperial Tobacco Company bought the business. The production of snuff ceased in 1957 and the curing of tobacco in 1961.

The construction of the Kennet and Avon Canal at the end of the 18th century revealed a large area of Gault and lower greensand clays which were ideal for brickmaking. The Devizes Brick and Tile Company was founded at Caen Hill and continued production until its closure in 1961.

New industries developed in the nineteenth century and continued into the twentieth. These included agricultural engineering (Brown and May, and T.H.White Ltd.), building contractors (W.E.Chivers and Sons Ltd., and Rendells), dairy produce (North Wilts Dairy Co. Ltd.), bacon production (Central Wiltshire Bacon Co.) and electrical manufacturing (Cross Manufacturing Co. and the Hinchley Engineering Co.). During World War II a flax industry was established to make parachute harnesses and tents.

The Kennet and Avon Canal was constructed between 1794 and 1810. It linked Devizes to Bristol and London, and to the Wilts and Berks Canal at Semington and the Somerset Coal Canal. Because of opposition from a local landowner the route for the canal caused major technical problems: within a distance of 2 1/2 miles it had to rise 237 feet from the valley of the Avon to the Pewsey Vale. This was accomplished by means of 29 locks, 17 of them in one flight at Caen Hill.

The main cargo on the canal was coal from Somerset, and the Wharf became a depot for its distribution. Other cargoes included Devizes beer for London, West Indian tobacco from Bristol for Anstie's factory, and building materials.

The success of the canal was short lived. The railway arrived in Devizes in 1857 but GWR had purchased the canal in 1852 and its use gradually declined and it fell into disuse.

In 1951 the fight to save the canal began in earnest with the formation of the Kennet and Avon Canal Association, and in 1990 the Queen celebrated the reopening of the full length of the canal by travelling through one of the locks at Caen Hill.

Proposals for a railway service for Devizes were made as early as 1836 but they come to nothing. Five years later the steep incline at Caen Hill caused Brunel to adopt the Swindon to Chippenham main line route from London to Bristol rather than taking the line through Devizes and Bradford-on-Avon. Opposition from local landowners also delayed things but in 1856 the Somerset and Weymouth Railway agreed to extend a single line track from Holt Junction to Devizes and the service opened in 1857. In 1862 the Great Western Railway opened an extension of the Berkshire and Hampshire line from Hungerford which linked Devizes to London, but the building of the Westbury line through Lavington again bypassed Devizes. The railway closed in 1966.

Churches: Information on both current and disused churches and chapels.

Schools: Information on both current and closed schools.

Photographs: If images have been added for this community they are available here.: We hold a collection of over 50,000 photographs of places in Wiltshire in the County Local Studies Library. These may be viewed at this library and copies of out of copyright material may be purchased. We can search for a picture of a building or event if you e-mail us with details.

Historical Sources: A select list of books and articles is listed in 'Printed material'. You may go directly to the actual text from some of these.

Printed Material: This is a select book-list for the community but in the case of a town there may be hundreds more books, pamphlets and journal articles.

The full text of some items is available to view on this site.

The Victoria History of Wiltshire (opens in new window) is a partnership between local authorities and the Institute of Historical Research at London University. The History of Wiltshire is now the largest county history in the country and is still growing. The volumes are divided between general and topographical with Volumes One to Five covering subjects such as prehistory, ecclesiastical, economic and political history. The Volumes from Six onwards are topographical and will ultimately provide a comprehensive and systematic history of every single town and parish in the county.

(opens in new window) Explore Wiltshire's Past web site

Newspapers from 1738: These newspapers covered this community at different times. Newspaper titles in bold text are either the ones you should check first for information about this community.

Maps: listed are maps on which you can find this community. All maps are Ordnance Survey maps.

Archaeological Sites: A Sites and Monuments Record (opens new window) is maintained by the County Archaeology Service and covers some 20,000 sites. The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society was formed in 1853 and have been publishing an annual journal since 1854. The journal contains both substantial articles and shorter notes on archaeological excavations, finds, museum objects, local history, genealogy and natural history.

History of Buildings: The collections of the Wiltshire Buildings Record are housed in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham.

Listed Buildings: The number of buildings, or groups of buildings, listed, as being of architectural or historical importance, is 323. There are five Grade I listings, Devizes Castle, No. 17 Market Place, Brownstone House and wall, the Church of St. Mary and the Church of St. John the Baptist, and 46 Grade II* listings.

Local Authors: There could be an author who was born or has lived in this community.

Literary Associations: Some communities have featured in novels or may have been the main setting for a book.

Registration Districts: If you want to obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate you can contact the local registrar.

Search the Wiltshire Studies Catalogue This will take you to our library catalogue where you will need to limit to 'Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre' for branch and re-enter your search term to find books on the subject. Please enter more than one word, e.g. 'Salisbury + market' unless you are looking for a small community.

If you have a local history enquiry, contact the County Local Studies Library


From February to December (except December 25th and January 1st) daily 10am-6pm
July and August daily 10am-7pm
Guided tours (free) Weekends and holidays English 11:30am French 3:30pm
July and August: Daily English 11:30am anmd 3:30pm French 10am and 2pm

Admission
Adult 7.50 euros children 6-16 years 3.50 euros
Family pass (2 adults and child between 6 and 16 years) 18 euros

Falaise Tourist Office
Boulevard de la Libération
14700 Falaise, Calvados, Normandy
Tél.: +33 (0)2 31 90 17 26
Falaise Tourism Website

Where to Eat in Falaise
La Fine Fourchette
52 rue Georges Clemenceau
14700 Falaise, Normandy
Tel.: 00 33 (0)2 31 90 08 59
A welcoming, friendly local restaurant, family run with father and son turning out very good dishes, particularly fish. Set menus from 16 euros and a good a la carte.


Voir la vidéo: CHÂTEAU DE CAEN. CALVADOS DÉPARTEMENT NORMANDIE FRANCE


Commentaires:

  1. Lionel

    Faire des erreurs. Je suis capable de le prouver. Écrivez-moi dans PM.

  2. Aviv

    Où Catty World?

  3. Gardajora

    À mon avis, vous commettez une erreur. Je suggère d'en discuter. Écrivez-moi dans PM, nous communiquerons.



Écrire un message